Driving a motorcycle can be one of the most exhilarating experiences you ever have. When you live in sunny Florida, why not take advantage of the open road? There aren’t a whole lot of places where you can ride your motorcycle year round.
While Florida is a great place to ride your motorcycle, it’s also a terrible place to get into a motorcycle accident.
Some of the most severe crashes law firms handle are motorcycle accident cases. The motorcycle driver usually sustains some pretty serious injuries. When you get in a motorcycle crash, there is nothing to protect you from the impact. The only thing that stands between you and the road is a plastic helmet.
A lot of people think that motorcycle drivers are reckless. Car drivers complain that they drive too fast and weave in and out of traffic. And, this may be true. However, car drivers still owe motorcycle drivers a duty of care.
No matter what you drive, you have to follow the rules of the road. If you don’t obey the traffic laws, you are likely to cause an accident. There’s a reason why these laws exist. It’s to keep you safe.
If you get into a motor vehicle accident involving your motorcycle, you’re going to need a Boynton Beach motorcycle accident attorney.
- 1 Why is There Such a Bias Against Motorcycle Riders?
- 2 How Does Your Florida Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Prove Your Case?
- 3 Why Do You Need a Police Report After Your Motorcycle Accident?
- 4 What Kind of Injuries are Caused by Motorcycle Accidents?
- 5 What Kind of Damages Will Your Attorney Demand?
- 6 Call a Boynton Beach Motorcycle Accident Attorney Today for Your Free Initial Consultation
Why is There Such a Bias Against Motorcycle Riders?
No matter where you live, people have a certain bias against motorcycle riders. We’ve all seen people on motorcycles weaving in and out of traffic. When you’re stuck in a traffic jam, you may get jealous of the bikes that ride up on the side of the road.
The problem is, not all motorcycle drivers are reckless. Most are very safe drivers. They choose to ride motorcycles for all kinds of reasons. They don’t deserve to be motorcycle accident victims.
One reason car drivers don’t like to share the road with motorcycle is because they’re hard to see. Even if you’re super careful, you may not see a motorcycle coming along the side of your car.
Florida highway patrol officers see more than their share of motorcycle crashes. Sadly, by the time they get there, the damage has been done. Motorcycle riders suffer some pretty serious injuries. Many don’t survive the impact.
The problem is so pervasive, law enforcement agencies all over Florida have special public service announcement about motorcycle safety. We’re constantly reminded to keep an eye out for bikers. This is because they are at a disadvantage.
How Does Your Florida Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Prove Your Case?
It’s not enough to say that you were in an accident. In order to collect damages, you need to prove the other driver was at fault. Most motorcycle accidents involve negligence. This means that the other driver breached their duty of care.
In order to prove negligence and get you the compensation you deserve, your attorney must show:
- The other driver owed you a certain duty of care
- They breached this duty
- This breach caused the accident
- You were injured as a result
The first element is pretty easy to prove. Car drivers owe everyone on the road a duty of care – including motorcycle riders. They have to follow all traffic rules and be courteous of other motorists.
It’s also pretty easy to prove your injuries. As long as you get medical treatment immediately following your accident, you should be able to prove you were injured. And, unless there was some intervening accident, it’ll be pretty obvious that the accident caused your injuries.
The difficult part comes when you have to prove that the other driver breached his duty of care. Florida motorcycle accident attorneys rely on the following to prove fault:
- Testimony from witnesses who saw the accident
- Sworn affidavits from you about how the accident happened
- All recordings from possible cameras including the other driver’s dash cam
- Abstracts of the other driver’s accident and driving records
- Testimony from experts who will recreate the accident using pictures and the accident report
It seems as if this would be easy to do. You may even think you can handle this yourself. And, while you certainly can do that, it’s not a good idea.
You want to rely on an experienced Boynton Beach motorcycle accident attorney to handle your case. They have decades of experience handling cases just like yours. They have the expertise to get you the compensation you deserve.
Why Do You Need a Police Report After Your Motorcycle Accident?
The first thing you need to do after your motorcycle accident is to get medical treatment immediately. You have to make sure you’re okay. You also need to get medical documentation of your injuries. If you wait too long to go to the hospital, the defendant will claim you were hurt some other way.
The second thing you need to do is call the police. Even if the other driver asks you not to, you have to call the police. In fact, if he asks you not to call the police, it’s all the more reason why you should.
If the other driver asks you not to call the police, he has a reason for it. Some of these reasons include:
- He doesn’t have a valid driver’s license
- The car is stolen
- He doesn’t have insurance
- He has warrants out against him
- He is in the middle of some sort of criminal activity
- He was speeding or breaking a traffic law at the time of the accident
- He’s drunk or under the influence of drugs at the time
The police will discover if any of this is true. This is why it’s so important that you call them right away.
The other reason you need to call the police is because your Boynton Beach motorcycle accident attorney will need the police report. This report contains important information that your lawyer may not be able to get later.
Some of the valuable information listed in the police report includes:
- Name, license and insurance information for both drivers
- Name and contact information for witnesses
- Statements made by both drivers
- Witness statements
- Pictures of the scene, road conditions and the vehicles
- Whether either driver was under the influence of alcohol or drugs at the time of the accident
- Information regarding any citations issued as a result of the accident
Even if your attorney can get this information later on, it will be difficult and time-consuming. Don’t make their job any harder than it already is. Call the police immediately after the accident. Don’t even get off your motorcycle before you call them if possible.
What Kind of Injuries are Caused by Motorcycle Accidents?
Of all the different types of accidents attorneys handle, motorcycle accidents may be some of the most dangerous. There is nothing there to protect the motorcycle driver. The only thing standing between him and the road is a plastic helmet.
When a motorcycle is hit by a car or truck, the impact is severe. The crash usually throws the rider off his bike. He may go flying down the highway, burning himself along the blacktop.
Some of the most common types of injuries caused by motorcycle accident include:
- Traumatic Brain Injuries- This type of brain injury occurs when you suffer a severe blow to the head. A traumatic brain injury (TBI) is often life threatening. It will change your life forever. You could end up totally paralyzed and unable to work ever again. Some of the symptoms of a TBI include:
- Memory loss
- Vision loss
- Hearing damage
- Permanent disability
TBI often require surgery. You will probably need physical and occupational therapy as well. This means you’ll be in the hospital for weeks or months.
- Back injuries – Back injuries are common with motorcycle accidents. You can imagine what happens when you get ejected off your bike. You may get smashed onto the side of the road. You could get run over by another vehicle. This causes serious back injuries. Back injuries usually require surgery and long-term physical therapy.
- Neck injuries – Whiplash is a very common injury. You can suffer whiplash in a motorcycle accident. Although, chances are, you’ll suffer an even more serious neck injury. You could even break your neck. This can causes partial or total paralysis. It really depends on where the break occurs. You could also suffer muscle and tendon tears. They can do the necessary tests at the hospital to see if you’ve suffered any neck injuries.
- Burns – Burn injuries are more common with a motorcycle accident than other types of accidents. If your body is thrown from the bike, you may end up with road burn all over your body. Or, your bike may catch on fire upon impact. If this is the case, you could end up with second or third-degree burns. These burns will probably affect all exposed parts of your body. Even if you’re wearing protective clothing, there will be parts of your body uncovered.
No matter how serious your injuries, you’ll be entitled to compensation. Your Florida motorcycle wreck lawyer will fight to get you the compensation you deserve.
What Kind of Damages Will Your Attorney Demand?
When you first meet with your Boynton Beach motorcycle accident attorney, you’ll want to discuss damages. This is how you’re paid for your injuries. Your lawyer will file a claim for damages. Your damages represent the losses you’ve suffered as a result of your accident.
Motorcycle accident claims usually involve the following types of damages:
- Medical Bills – You’re entitled to be reimbursed for both current and future medical bills. Most motorcycle accident victims need long-term medical treatment. This can be very expensive. Your attorney will make sure these are covered by your claim.
- Lost Wages – You may be out of work for weeks or months following your accident. Your lawyer will submit proof of lost wages. You deserve to be compensated for this time.
- Property damage – Your bike probably needed to be repaired or replaced after the accident. The defendant and his insurance company need to pay for this.
- Pain and Suffering – These damages are intended to compensate you for physical pain and the emotional trauma you suffered.
If the defendant is held liable for your injuries, his insurance will have to compensate you for your damages. Depending on how serious your accident, you may be entitled to pain and suffering. These types of damages can make up a bulk of your settlement.
Your lawyer is going to work hard to settle your case. Neither side wants to go to trial. They’re expensive and time consuming. There’s also the risk that you could lose.
Your attorney won’t accept any settlement without discussing it with you first. He can give you an honest opinion on whether the deal is fair or not.
Call a Boynton Beach Motorcycle Accident Attorney Today for Your Free Initial Consultation
If you get hurt in a motorcycle accident, you need a lawyer. Motorcycle accident victims suffer pretty serious injuries. You may be out of work for a while. The last thing you want to do is deal with the insurance company and lawyers.
Your attorney will go to battle with the insurance company on your behalf. They’ll do their best to settle your claim.
Call us at (800) 800-6500 and schedule your free initial consultation today. You can sit down with an experienced truck accident attorney and discuss your case. They’ll answer any questions you may have. Also, they can give you an idea of what your case may be worth.
The consultation is absolutely free and you pay nothing until you win your case. The defendant will have attorneys working for him and you should too.