People order more of their goods online now than ever before. This means that truck drivers have to transport more product than they did years ago. If you’ve driven on the highway, you know what this means. These intimidating machines will now be around even more than ever before.
The reason these trucks are so scary is that they’re huge. They are large, powerful machines that have the power to kill us if they crash into our cars. And, sadly, many truck accidents do end up with fatalities. More fatalities are caused by truck accidents than any other type of motor vehicle accident.
Fort Lauderdale truck accident lawyers know this. They handle dozens of truck accident cases every year.
It would be easy to blame truck drivers for all of these accidents. We could say they’re not careful and don’t have any concern for other drivers. This isn’t true. Most truck drivers take pride in their work and try to drive very carefully. However, just like you and I, they make mistakes.
The issue is many of them work too many hours. They log thousands of miles a week. They drive when they’re overtired. Also, they try to make up miles and end up driving too fast. This leads to very serious accidents up and down Fort Lauderdale highways.
If you or your family member have been injured in a truck accident, contact a Fort Lauderdale personal injury lawyer.
Your Fort Lauderdale Truck Accident Attorney Knows the Statistics
Fort Lauderdale truck accident attorneys know how dangerous tractor trailers can be. They are familiar with the statistics. Over 11% of all motor vehicle accidents involve large trucks. In fatal truck accidents, it’s almost always the other driver who gets killed.
This makes sense. If you’re driving a car, you can’t withstand the impact of a large tractor trailer. When that much metal crashes into a car, the results are devastating.
- 1 Your Fort Lauderdale Truck Accident Attorney Knows the Statistics
- 2 Common Causes of Truck Accidents in Florida
- 3 What if the Insurance Company Denies Your Claim?
- 4 What Kind of Damages Are You Entitled To?
- 5 Always Call the Police if You’re In a Fort Lauderdale Semi-Truck Accident
- 6 Truck Accident Victims Suffer All Sort of Injuries
- 7 Contact a Fort Lauderdale Truck Accident Attorney Today
Over 250 people die in truck crashes every year in Fort Lauderdale. That’s enough people to fill a large movie theater. And, on top of the fatal incidents, there were more than 450,000 truck accidents in the United States last year.
Your Fort Lauderdale truck accident attorney will do what it takes to get you the compensation you deserve.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents in Florida
A lot of people think that most truck accidents are caused by speeding. And, while speeding certainly contributes to a lot of crashes, there are several common types of truck accidents in Florida.
Some of the most common causes of truck accidents include:
- Overloaded trucks – Truck driver try to fit as much product as they can on their tractor trailers. They want to get it all loaded and delivered in one trip. They have to keep their bosses and their clients happy. This can lead to a truck that is overloaded. When a truck is too heavy, it doesn’t operate the way it should. It can become downright dangerous. This is why we see so many tractor trailers jackknife on the highway or flip over into ravines.
- Driving while overtired – A lot of truck drivers work more than 40 hours a week. If they’re paid by the mile, we have no idea how many hours they may work. They try to rack up as many miles as possible so they can take care of their families. In doing so, they end up driving when they’re too tired. This can cause them to be negligent. When this happens, people get hurt.
- Distracted driving – Truck drivers get distracted just like you and I. They play with their phones and other gadgets. They try to eat lunch while on the road to save time. They may be listening to their radios. All of these things can cause them to be distracted. This, in turn, causes accidents.
- Improper truck maintenance – Drivers are required to keep their trucks safe. They have to get their trucks serviced every month to make sure their safe. When they don’t do this, things go wrong and people get killed.
- Speeding – Because they’re trying to cover a lot of ground, truck drivers tend to drive faster than they should. Since trucks are allowed to drive as fast of other vehicles, when they speed, it can get very dangerous.
- Drunk driving – There are good truck drivers and bad truck drivers. Some are irresponsible and end up drinking on lunch or dinner and then get behind the wheel. Drunk driving accidents are scary enough for cars. You can only imagine how bad it can be for trucks.
Your truck accident lawyer in Fort Lauderdale knows the common causes for truck accidents. They know what proof they need to offer to get you the compensation you deserve.
What if the Insurance Company Denies Your Claim?
If you are involved in a truck accident, you’ll have to file an insurance claim. This claim will be filed against the owner of the trucking company’s policy. Unless the truck driver is an independent contractor, his insurance isn’t the one that will cover your injuries. If your claim is paid – great. You’ll get your check within a week or two. However, if your claim is larger, there is a good chance it may be denied. There are all sort of reasons why your claim may be denied. Some of these reasons include:
- They claim you weren’t injured
- The insurance company believes you were at fault
- You have pre-existing conditions or old injuries
- You have a history of filing claims against commercial drivers
- You were drunk or under the influence of drugs at the time of the accident
- The commercial driver was not insured
- The policy wasn’t valid
Your attorney will file an appeal to try to get your truck injuries in Florida covered. If he can’t, he’ll have no choice but to file suit. However, this doesn’t mean you’ll have to go to trial. Most cases settle. Even if you file suit, your lawyer will continue to try to negotiate a settlement with the insurance company.
Nobody wants to go to trial. Even if you have to sue, your case will probably still settle. Nobody likes going to trial. Trials are expensive and time consuming. You also face the chance that you’ll lose in court.
What Kind of Damages Are You Entitled To?
Damages in most truck accidents tend to be quite high. This is because most truck accident injuries are serious. You will probably need surgery and physical therapy. You’ll probably be out of work for weeks or even months. You’re entitled to compensation for all of these things.
Your Fort Lauderdale truck accident lawyer will demand the following:
- Lost wages
- Medical bills (past, present and future)
- Diminished earning capacity
- Permanent disability
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
Your lawsuit will probably also have to name more than one person in your lawsuit. Some of the potential defendants include:
- Truck driver
- Company he works for
- Insurance company
- Company who overloaded the truck with product
- The company who services the vehicle
- Manufacturer of the truck or its parts
- Mechanic who repairs the tractor trailer
You’ll have to name all of these parties in your initial lawsuit. You can’t add them later. So it’s important that your attorney research the company and see who may be responsible for the accident.
Always Call the Police if You’re In a Fort Lauderdale Semi-Truck Accident
Just like with any other accident, you have to call the police after your semi-truck accident. You have no idea if the truck driver is licensed and insured. You don’t even know if he’s on duty at the time of the accident. He could be drunk or driving recklessly. He could have borrowed the truck from someone who works for the trucking company. You need the police to investigate the accident to make these determinations.
The police are going to write up an accident report. This report will include information that you and your attorney need for your case. If you don’t call the police, you risk the chance of never getting this valuable information.
As soon as they arrive on the scene, the cops will check to see if anyone’s hurt. Make sure you tell him you want to go to the hospital. This is true whether you think you’re injured or not. Your lawyer will need medical documentation to prove your injuries.
The police will also investigate the accident scene. They’ll look to see if any of the people involved are under the influence of drugs or alcohol. They get the drivers’ insurance and license information. All of this information will be in the police report, along with other useful information including:
- Description of the accident and accident scene
- Pictures of the scene
- Contact information for all witnesses
- Statements made by all parties
- Insurance information for both parties
- A description of the road conditions
Some of this information isn’t available once the scene is cleared. You don’t want to make your lawyers job any harder than it already is.
Truck Accident Victims Suffer All Sort of Injuries
Because truck accidents are so dangerous, they usually cause very serious injuries. Some of the more common types of accidents caused by truck accidents are:
- Back injuries – It’s hard to imagine a truck accident that doesn’t cause back injuries. Your body is going to be thrown about your vehicle. You may even be ejected from the car. When a tractor trailer collides with your car, you are going to sustain back injuries. These may be as simple as disc issues or as serious as a spinal cord injury.
- Head and Brain injuries – Truck accidents often cause head and brain injuries. You could break facial bones or suffer a concussion. You may suffer something as serious as a traumatic brain injury (TBI.) TBIs occur when you suffer a severe blow to the head. This happens when you whack your head on the steering wheel or windshield.
If you suffer a TBI, you’ll experience the following signs and symptoms:
- Memory loss
- Impaired vision
- Inability to speak
- Impaired hearing
- Internal Injuries – Internal injuries can be quite scary. The thing about them is that you can’t see them. You may not even feel them. Not all internal injuries are painful. Some don’t bother you at all right away. If left untreated, internal injuries can be life threatening. You need to get checked out so you can make sure you aren’t suffering from internal injuries.
Truck accident attorneys in Fort Lauderdale handle many internal injury cases. Some of the most common types of internal injuries include:
- Bleeding on the brain
- Punctured lungs
- Internal bleeding
- Organ damage
Your Fort Lauderdale truck accident lawyer is going to make sure you’re compensated for all of these injuries. That’s why he needs medical documentation. If you don’t go to the hospital, he may have no way to prove you were hurt.
Contact a Fort Lauderdale Truck Accident Attorney Today
If you’re involved in a tractor trailer accident, you’re going to need a Fort Lauderdale truck accident lawyer. He’ll handle the legal side of things while you focus on getting better. It could take you months to fully recover. Things need to happen quickly if you want to be compensated.
Call and schedule your free initial consultation with a Fort Lauderdale truck accident attorney today. You can meet with an experienced truck accident attorney free of charge and discuss your case. He can answer any questions you may have. He can also let you know what your case may be worth.
The consultation is absolutely free and you pay nothing until you win your case. The defendant will have attorneys working for him and you should too. Contact a Fort Lauderdale truck accident lawyer today to set up your initial consultation.